Benutzername: Passwort: Angemeldet bleiben:

THEMA: Dumping oil

Dumping oil 2 Jahre 4 Monate her #255

• mmgreve
  • mmgreves Avatar
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Dank erhalten: 1
All,

So this will be my first "proper" post on the forum, but I hope you can help.

Our 231 has developed a bad habit of transferring the oIl from he sump where it is most useful, to the underside of the plane where it is much less desired. The oil "consumption" is 0.5-1 quart per hours, so apart from the inconvenience it also limit the operation range significantly.

The oil on the plane is yellow and sticky, so clearly new and unused oil and we are sure that he oil is not being burned in the engine.

While our mechanic believe the oil to be leaking into the exhaust from the turbo, I highly doubt that, partly because the silencer (Liese) is clean and dry, and partly because oil leaks onto the nose gear door after landing. There are a couple of hoses the oil could come from, but I am wondering if it has to do with the oil separator that is installed?

Anyone else had similar issues?

Many thanks
Michael
Der Administrator hat öffentliche Schreibrechte deaktiviert.

Dumping oil 2 Jahre 2 Monate her #277

• David.Kromka
  • David.Kromkas Avatar
  • Junior Boarder
  • La magie s'arrête jamais
  • Dank erhalten: 5
Michael,
I have exactly the same issue on my N252CG, a 1986 turbo Mooney 252.
We have undertaken considerable maintenance efforts in order to get that fixed and I am beginning to understand what was NOT the cause ;-)
Diagnosing from far away is always difficult but I believe that your mechanic could be right. My exhaust is also dry and pretty clean but this might be to the hot temperatures if one operates the engine as one should.
I have recently seen that there was an oil leak where compressed air from the turbocharger and intercooler enters into one of the cylinders and have removed the turbocharger air outlet lines. They were at least not totally dry and I could find oil residue there as well.
Since I have installed all new turbocharger in- and outlet check valves (quite some investment by the way...) and an overhauled variable pressure controller I will probably overhaul the turbo once again just to be sure. It seems to be the last part in the system that is left unchecked.
From this cylinder air inlet oil leak the oil is probably spraying all around the engine area and the sucked out be air where it can escape the easiest which is on the belly and gear door.
My oil consumption is much less though: approx. 1 quart per four hours
l-Leck.jpg
Letzte Änderung: 2 Jahre 2 Monate her von David.Kromka.

Dumping oil 2 Jahre 2 Monate her #278

• mmgreve
  • mmgreves Avatar
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Dank erhalten: 1
David,
A bit of an update is in order then, as the Mooney is currently in the shop with all cylinders removed. We started getting rough running on the Cyl 3 after taxying and at one instance in the decent intercepting the ILS. Cyl 3 was clearly fowling and we had to be pretty aggressive on the leaning to clear it.

As said, it is currently in the engine shop and having removed all cylinders, they are all in pretty bad shape actually. They are clearly glazed and pitted with a lot of blow-by (and low compression) as a result. Having started work on them, it turns out that the pitting is too deep to get a good result, so we are now looking at getting 6 new cylinders.

The engine shop confirms your theory on the blow-out. They only had to look at it from the outside to diagnose compression of the crankcase, which will blow out the oil as it is being thrown around the crankcase.

I will let you know how it goes, but it might indicate where to look.
Ladezeit der Seite: 0.200 Sekunden