Nom d'utilisateur : Mot de passe : Se souvenir de moi

SUJET : AVIONICS UPGRADE: 8,33 RADIOS + XPDR MODE S + ELT

AVIONICS UPGRADE: 8,33 RADIOS + XPDR MODE S + ELT il y a 1 mois 3 semaines #381

• Costa Leite
  • Portrait de Costa Leite
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Remerciements reçus 1
Dear All,

I start here a topic related to changing to 8,33 Radios, Transponder Mode S, and ELT installation on Europe. I find quite interesting that still nobody started this topic on Forum because, as it is mandatory to comply with these changes till end of the year, in case your aircraft still not have this equipment, which was our case.

For us this was a time were we decided to take the opportunity to also upgrade the existing GPS (BendixKing KLN-89B) for a new COM/NAV/GPS. With this in mind, we also asked quotation for more equipment, just to know the prices if... one day we can afford a Glass PFD or MFD.
After some investigation I realized that Garmin was the best option for #2 COM/NAV 8,33 radio because it was cheaper and more sophisticated than the only other market alternative from Bendix King KX165a. So, we started choosing the other equipment also from Garmin, and elected GTN series for #1 COM/NAV/GPS, and also Garmin Remote Transponder to save some panel space. Regarding ELT, Kannad Compact 405AF solution is clearly the best and cheaper option on the market for aircraft installation.

You can find attach one PDF with all quotations that we asked, nor only for the Radio, Transponder, and ELT mandatory changes, but also quotations for different alternatives of PFD (1xAspen, 2X Aspen, 1x G500 with old mechanical StdBy, 1x G500 with StdBy EADI). You have prices from all around Europe, from shops I heard that were doing good job in this type of work.

After all this price collection, we decided to move to a GTN 750 instead of the 650, and we also choose the remote Audio Panel from Garmin, at the same time we decided to leave Glass PFD for upcoming years, and do only the GPS, Radios, Transponder, Audio Panel and ELT.
At last minute I contacted a shop in Madrid which was not on my previous list and that seemed a much better option regarding proximity to Portugal. So, AVIMADIS at Madrid did the fine job of upgrading what it was an already very good IFR panel with a terrific set design, to a more modern equipment cockpit. The job price was 40.000,00€ + VAT for equipment, installation and complete certification of:
• COM/NAV/GPS GTN‐750
• SD AIRCRAFT DATACARD JEPPESEN, TERRAIN, OBSTACLE& SAFE TAXI
• FLIGHT STREAM 510 SD CARD
• ANTENA GPS GA‐35 WAAS
• COMM/NAV GARMIN GNC‐255ª
• TRANSPONDER REMOTE GARMIN GTX‐345R + ENCODER DIGITAL
• AUDIO PANEL REMOTE GMA‐35R

At the end, we discovered one new TAS equipment from AirAvionics that was compatible with GTN through Arinc429 ports: TRX-1500A, which costs only 2.000,00€ compared to 10.000,00€ Garmin TCAS. And so, we installed also the TRX-1500A that works just fine with the GTN750.

On the last 3 months of test flights we are still discovering small things to nail with AVIMADIS on the installation, but in the overall, I can highly recommend this shop in Madrid for avionics upgrade.

You can find in attach the cockpit pictures of the “before and after”. Feel free to contact if you need any clarification regarding the upgrade on our Mooney. I will be happy to share knowledge and experience.

Cheers!
Frederico
Pièces jointes :
Dernière édition: il y a 1 mois 3 semaines par Costa Leite.
L'administrateur a désactivé l'accès en écriture pour le public.

AVIONICS UPGRADE: 8,33 RADIOS + XPDR MODE S + ELT il y a 1 mois 3 jours #383

Well that is a beautiful panel but too rich for my taste - congratulations - I went the easy route with 8.33khz - I bought a Trig 96 in the USA while on holidays and had it installed for 400 euros - total cost 2200 euros.

AVIONICS UPGRADE: 8,33 RADIOS + XPDR MODE S + ELT il y a 3 semaines 5 jours #384

• Costa Leite
  • Portrait de Costa Leite
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Remerciements reçus 1
You are right Aidan. It was an expensive choice, but please note that we are IFR pilots and that we needed COM/NAV radios solutions to substitute King KX155, and so, although Trig 96 is an excellent radio, it wouldn't cover our needs. On the other hand, the existing avionics were already top end class, so we weren't interested to down grade the aircraft equipment. The GPS upgrade was an extra choice because it wasn't mandatory, but now we have a much more capable GPS coupled with AP for GNSS approaches, holdings, etc, besides of Traffic, Terrain, Charts, and a lot more features.
I was also a sceptical about glass cockpits but now I must state that this GTN750 Navigator is an excellent equipment and it clearly worths the extra money compared to GTN650.
Temps de génération de la page : 0.165 secondes